Cairns liveaboard – Certified divers on the Coral Sea Dive Safari travel onboard Spoilsport with Mike Ball Dive Expeditions.
Visit the pristine Ribbon Reefs PLUS walk-in Captain Cook’s footsteps on the idyllic Lizard Island and scuba dive the crystal clear waters of the Great Barrier Reef.
This tour is suitable for advanced scuba divers. Not ideal for snorkelers.
Tours depart Thursdays at 6 pm from Cairns Trinity Wharf (make own way) and return Thursdays at 8 am (courtesy inner city hotel transfers).
Please note dinner is not included on the first evening.
Additional Payments Onboard:
*Environmental Management Charge (EMC) to pay onboard is $19.50 per person, in Australian Dollars
*Fuel Levy is $44 per person, in Australian Dollars, to pay onboard (subject to change)
- Budget Cabin: Twin bunk beds, shared bathroom facilities
- Club Cabin: Twin bunk beds, ensuite bathroom facilities
- Standard Cabin: Two single beds, private ensuite & ocean views
- Premium Cabin: Double bed, private ensuite & ocean views
- Please check availability with us before booking
For a luxury liveaboard tour, click HERE!
- Coral Sea: The azure and fathomless water of the Coral Sea is the playground for sharks and big fish action in exceptional visibility. Huge soft coral trees and sea fans will impress.
- Ribbon Reefs: The potato cod grouper at the Cod Hole are a highlight. however, it is the rich biodiversity of fish species and coral that make this section of the Great Barrier Reef so incredible.
- Lizard Island: Mid expedition our staff invite you on a short excursion to Lizard Island. Step back in time at the ruins of Mrs Watsons Cottage; walk through the mangrove swamp on a boardwalk and a stroll up Chinaman’s Ridge yields magnificent views of the island and reefs below.
Sample itinerary, subject to change based on conditions.
- Check-in at our office (3 Abbott St, Cairns) between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.
- From 4:30 pm: Make your own way to Hemingway’s Brewery Cairns Wharf (200m from MBDE office) to meet your fellow passengers. Please note that dinner is not provided on the first evening so you may wish to eat before boarding.
- 5:50 pm: Our crew will lead you from Hemingway’s Brewery Cairns Wharf to board Spoilsport. Enjoy a glass of champagne and light snacks while your Trip Director provides a full briefing.
- 6:00 pm: Spoilsport departs Cairns.
- Time to organise any rental equipment and put your dive gear together on the dive deck.
Friday: (4 dives + night dive) This is a sample of a ‘typical day, however exact times may vary to optimise the prevailing weather conditions on the day.
- 6:30 am: Wake up call, light breakfast available in dining room
- 7:00 am: Dive brief & diving commences
- 9:00 am: Full cooked Breakfast
- 10:30 am: Dive brief & diving. “Open decks” accommodate 1-2 dives either am or pm
- 2:00 pm: Lunch
- 3:30 pm: Dive brief & diving
- 4:30 pm: Afternoon Tea
- 6:30 pm: Night dive brief & dive
- 8:00 pm: Dinner
Saturday: (4 dives + night dive)
- As per above.
Sunday: (4 dives)
- As per above, however, all diving is finished by 5 pm. Spoilsport moors off Lizard Island for the evening.
- As the sun sets we pour the champagne, layout the nibbles and get ready for an Aussie BBQ party night. Don’t forget to wear your loudest tropical shirt or dress and sing along to music played by our talented crew.
Monday: (2 dives + night dive)
- 7:00 am: Light breakfast
- 8:00 am: Bid farewell to passengers doing the 4 night Fly Dive Coral Sea Expedition who will disembark here.
- 8:00 am: Stay onboard or take a tender over to Lizard Island to stretch your legs and explore a little of this beautiful island.
- 11:00 am: New passengers join us here. Drinks and light snacks are provided.
- 12:45 pm: Dive brief and dive
- 2:00 pm: Lunch
- 3:45 pm: Dive brief and dive
- 4:45 pm: Afternoon tea
- 6:00 pm: Dive brief and night dive
- 8:00 pm: Dinner
Tuesday: (4 dives + night dive)
- As per Friday, above.
Wednesday: (4 dives)
- As per above. Exit last dive 5 pm.
- As the sun sets we pour the champagne, layout the nibbles and get ready for a final farewell party!
- Overnight cruise to Cairns
- 7:00 am: Light breakfast
- 8:00 am Disembark and courtesy transfer to Cairns inner city hotels, the airport or our office where we can store your luggage until 5 pm if you have a later flight.
- We recommend that you allow 24 hours between your last dive and your onward flight (all diving is finished by 5 pm Wednesday).
- Unlimited scuba dives at pristine Great Barrier Reef locations
- Coral Sea Dive, Challenger Bay, Cod Hole & Osprey Reef
- Complimentary orientation dives for those who require supervision
- Reef Ecology Programme
- Night Dives
- Guaranteed access to restricted dive sites
- All chef-prepared meals catered for, including snacks
- Complimentary soft drinks & wine with dinner
- Unlimited dive times
- Three different dive sites per day (weather permitting)
* Dive Equipment Not Included – Available for rental on board
- Personal dive guides
- PADI Instruction: Advanced
- Naturalist & Photo/Video Gear hire Camera hire
Hire Gear can be organised onboard
- Item Cost Reg, Ocy, Gauges $15/day
- BCD $10/day Computer $12/day
- Snorkel Gear $5/day
- Light/Torch/Cyalume $10/day
- Wetsuit $10/day
- Safety Sausage (SMB) $10/trip
- Nautilus Lifeline GPS No charge
- All of the above $44/day
- 2L (13 cu.ft) Pony Bottle + Reg $15/day
- 15L (120cu.ft)
- Steel Bottle $25/day Nitrox fills $75/for 3 or 4 night
- Cyalume Light Stick $2/each
- Reef Tax
- Sole Occupancy Berth cost + 70%
- Fuel Levy – Standard Expeditions $0 (subject to change)
- Special Catering Admin Fee $30 per day
- Luggage Restriction 25KG (55lb) per person
- Personal Dive Guides $250/day (+ berth cost for guide) or $50/dive
What to bring
- Cash or Credit Card for purchases
- Personal clothes and toiletries,
- Sun cream, swimming clothes and a hat
- Own dive equipment unless you have pre-booked rental equipment
- Voucher if applicable
- Proof of certification if you’re a Certified Diver
- We recommend that you allow 24 hours between your last dive and your onward flight (all diving is finished by 5pm Sunday).
- A luggage allowance applies to the flight from Cairns to Lizard Island:
- 25kg / 55lb per person plus 3kg / 6.5lb – carry on.
- An additional 10kg/22lb is allowed for professional photo/video housed systems.